Recently the BACP conducted a Public Perception Survey, conducted by YouGov, and asked people if they’d had counselling in the past, if there were any barriers that might stop them getting therapy, and what their perception was of mental health.
The results show:
- nine out of ten respondents believe that counselling should be freely available to everyone who needs it.
- 88% would seek counselling for a problem before it gets out of hand.
- 76% of people who have had counselling or psychotherapy would recommend it to friends and family.
- 80% of parents would encourage their child to seek therapy if needed.
- 84% believe it is more socially acceptable to discuss mental health compared to five years ago.